Current:Home > ContactHaiti orders a curfew after gangs overrun its two largest prisons. Thousands have escaped -Capitatum
Haiti orders a curfew after gangs overrun its two largest prisons. Thousands have escaped
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 15:52:32
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Authorities in Haiti have ordered a nighttime curfew after an explosion of violence when gang gunmen overran the two biggest prisons and freed thousands of inmates over the weekend.
A 72-hour state of emergency began Sunday night. The government said it would set out to find the killers, kidnappers and other criminals who fled.
“The police were ordered to use all legal means at their disposal to enforce the curfew and apprehend all offenders,” said a statement from Finance Minister Patrick Boivert, the acting prime minister.
Gangs already were estimated to control up to 80% of Port-au-Prince, the capital. They are increasingly coordinating their actions and choosing once unthinkable targets like the Central Bank.
Prime Minister Ariel Henry traveled abroad last week to try to salvage support for a United Nations-backed security force to help stabilize Haiti in its conflict with the increasingly powerful crime groups.
Haiti’s National Police has roughly 9,000 officers to provide security for more than 11 million people, according to the U.N. They are routinely overwhelmed and outgunned.
The deadly weekend marked a new low in Haiti’s downward spiral of violence. At least nine people had been killed since Thursday — four of them police officers — as gangs stepped up coordinated attacks on state institutions in Port-au-Prince, including the international airport and national soccer stadium.
But the attack on the National Penitentiary late Saturday shocked Haitians who are accustomed to living under the constant threat of violence.
Almost all of the estimated 4,000 inmates escaped. Three bodies with gunshot wounds lay at the prison entrance Sunday.
In another neighborhood, the bloodied corpses of two men with their hands tied behind the backs lay face down as residents walked past roadblocks set up with burning tires.
Among the few dozen people who chose to stay in prison are 18 former Colombian soldiers accused of working as mercenaries in the July 2021 assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse.
“Please, please help us,” one of the men, Francisco Uribe, said in a message widely shared on social media. “They are massacring people indiscriminately inside the cells.”
Colombia’s foreign ministry has called on Haiti to provide “special protection” for the men.
A second Port-au-Prince prison containing around 1,400 inmates was also overrun.
Gunfire was reported in several neighborhoods in the capital. Internet service for many residents was down as Haiti’s top mobile network said a fiber optic cable connection was slashed during the rampage.
After gangs opened fire at Haiti’s international airport last week, the U.S. Embassy said it was halting all official travel to the country. On Sunday night, it urged all American citizens to depart as soon as possible.
The Biden administration, which has refused to commit troops to any multinational force for Haiti while offering money and logistical support, said it was monitoring the rapidly deteriorating security situation with grave concern.
The surge in attacks follows violent protests that turned deadlier in recent days as the prime minister went to Kenya seeking to move ahead on the proposed U.N.-backed security mission to be led by that East African country.
Henry took over as prime minister following Moise’s assassination and has postponed plans to hold parliamentary and presidential elections, which haven’t happened in almost a decade.
Jimmy Chérizier, a former elite police officer known as Barbecue who now runs a gang federation, has claimed responsibility for the surge in attacks. He said the goal is to capture Haiti’s police chief and government ministers and prevent Henry’s return.
The prime minister, a neurosurgeon, has shrugged off calls for him to resign and didn’t comment when asked if he felt it was safe to come home.
___
Associated Press writers Joshua Goodman in Miami and Danica Coto in San Juan, Puerto Rico, contributed to this report.
___
Follow AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (57)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- O-Town's Ashley Parker Angel Shares Rare Insight Into His Life Outside of the Spotlight
- The Golden Bachelor Finale: Find Out If Gerry Turner Got Engaged
- Shane MacGowan, irascible frontman of The Pogues, has died at age 65
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Georgia county seeking to dismiss lawsuit by slave descendants over rezoning of their island homes
- Trump will hold a fundraiser instead of appearing at next week’s Republican presidential debate
- Democrats lose attempt to challenge New Hampshire electoral district maps
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Federal Reserve’s preferred inflation gauge shows price pressures continuing to cool
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Kirk Herbstreit defends 'Thursday Night Football' colleague Al Michaels against criticism
- Academy Sports is paying $2.5 million to families of a serial killer’s victims for illegal gun sales
- Candy company Mars uses cocoa harvested by kids as young as 5 in Ghana: CBS News investigation
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Kari Lake loses suit to see ballot envelopes in 3rd trial tied to Arizona election defeat
- 'Insecure' actress DomiNque Perry accuses Darius Jackson's brother Sarunas of abuse
- Southern California's Bronny James cleared by doctors for 'full return to basketball'
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
The AP Interview: Ukraine’s Zelenskyy says the war with Russia is in a new phase as winter looms
Shop Our Anthropologie 40% Off Sale Finds: $39 Dresses, $14 Candles & So Much More
Protesters shove their way into congress of Mexican border state of Nuevo Leon, toss smoke bomb
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Congressmen ask DOJ to investigate water utility hack, warning it could happen anywhere
Live updates | Temporary cease-fire expires; Israel-Hamas war resumes
USC's Bronny James cleared to return to basketball 4 months after cardiac arrest